Closed captions are a type of subtitles that include additional interpretive information such as sound and tone descriptions (words that phonetically imitate/resemble sounds) for hearing impaired viewers.
If a video includes a Closed captions or Subtitles file, the Closed Caption icon will be displayed on the player controls.
Closed captions can be assigned to your video objects during the upload process either by uploading a file or linking it to an external link.
Note: You may upload multiple Closed captions and Subtitles files for different languages.
Player Closed Captions Controls
The following list describes the Closed Caption components that are displayed in the player:
- Closed Captions Menu Button - This icon button will appear on the player if the currently played video includes a Closed Captions or Subtitle file. Click on this button to view the Closed Captions Menu
- Closed Captions Menu - The menu allows you to select a Closed Captions or Subtitle file in the available languages including the ability to turn it off. Additionally, the Settings menu allows you to customize the Closed Captions display.
Note: To learn how to customize your Closed Captions display, please see the following article: Closed Captions Customization Options
- Closed Captions (Subtitles) - The actual presentation of the Closed Captions or Subtitles file content.
Closed Captions Supported Formats
The following list describes our supported Closed Captions/Subtitles files.
- Timed Text - .ttml / .dfxp / .vfxp (supported also on mobile devices).
- Web Video Text Tracks - .vvt / .srt (not supported on mobile)
Note: SRT captions are not supported on mobile.
Note: Large and Small players have a different interface to better suit the size of the player. For further details, please see Closed Captions UI differences.