The Targeting Rule Advanced tab allows you to pass custom parameters and values to the Ad server using a placeholder embedded in the VAST URL address. This is achieved using the 'Search Statements' area of the Targeting Rule.
After you defined an arbitrary 'Macro Name' for your Placeholder you will need to add it using a specific syntax to the 'VAST URL' address in your Targeting Rule.
This capability is better explained using the following example.
Macro Placeholder Example
Let's say that each time the player plays back a video with the word 'Disaster' in the video title, we would like to pass back to the Ad Server a parameter and value of 'negativeNews=true' that activates some kind of functionality on the Ad server side.
To do this we will need to add a new 'Search Statement' under the 'Advanced tab' of the Targeting Rule with the following settings:
- Search query - In this field we will enter the search query to catch the word 'Disaster' in the video title. The relevant query, in this case, is 'name:"disaster"'.
- Macro Key - This is the name of the parameter we would like to pass to the Ad server when 'disaster' is found in the video title. In this example, we will enter here 'negativeNews'.
- Macro Value - This is the value of the parameter we would like to pass to the Ad server when 'disaster' is found in the video title. In this example, we will enter here 'true'.
- Macro Name - This is the arbitrary name for our placeholder that we need to place in our VAST URL. In this case, we have chosen the name 'passBack' but you can enter any name as long as it does not have any blank spaces.
To add your Macro Name Placeholder to your VAST URL, perform the following steps:
- Go to the required Targeting Rule edit page.
Note: This must be the same Targeting Rule where you defined the relevant Search Statement.
- Go to the 'General' tab. The general tab of your targeting rule is displayed.
- Go to the 'AD Detailed Section' and add your Macro Name placeholder to the 'VAST URL' field between two square brackets in your ad request URL query string.
Note: If your ad request did not include any previous parameters enter the placeholder with a query string question mark '?' prefix instead of the ampersand symbol.
- Click on 'Save'. Your targeting rule search statement macro name placeholder is saved.